Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Too much to remember

I've had a lot of workouts the past week- too many to recall for this post. Yesterday I swapped my workouts for a 2+ hour bike to re-check my nutrition plan. It was good news and bad news. First, the situation:

-Afternoon ride, starting about 5 pm
-Ensured my diet was at least "acceptable" for 24 hours prior
-90 deg and humid at the start
-15 min ride to Hains Point to warm up
-HR to be kept below 130 whenever possible, and never exceeding 135

Starting at 30 min I consumed 1 eGel every 30 min (300 cal/hr), and starting at 45 min I took one saltstick cap every 30 min. I drank right at 24 oz of water per/hr. The good news is this worked just about perfectly. I was a touch hungry after about 45 min, but that went away after my next gel. As for the heat, I think a little more water (28oz/hr) would have been appropriate. Right on cue at 1:30 I needed to take a leak. I suspect last time around (as Max suggested) I started from a caloric deficit and went downhill from there. For the ride I averaged just over 20mph with an avg HR of 128, which made me pretty happy. So, that's the good news.

The bad news is that my foot was killing me. It started to burn (uncomfortable but managable) at about 45 min, and by 1:30 it was downright flippin' painful. I think this might be due to the inordinate amount of time I have spent barefoot recently, even though it didn't bother me at the time.

Other notes- I'm digging my bike setup. I've added my aerobottle and behind the seat cages. For the race I may get rid of my downtube cage as the two cages on the back will be plenty to refill my aero bottle from (water stations every 10 miles). The only thing I'm not digging is the bento box I'm using to carry my gels. I might switch over to a couple of flasks. My 808's are getting glued and are set to be picked up tonight. I'll put them on for a few test rides over the next week or so. While at the shop I'm also going to try on some new cycling shoes. I've been using Specialized tri-vents for years, but I think the metatarsal button is assisting in the aggravation of my foot. I'm thinking I may go back to Sidi, which I love.

Ariel- good luck getting into CdA or another race!

Anyway, that's it for now...

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I just wrote a post about the nutrition plan I will try at Rev3 per Max's instruction. Very much like what you tested on your ride. Glad to hear that it worked well for you. I'm excited about the simplicity of it :).

    I have Sidi Tri shoes and really love 'em!

    ReplyDelete