Tuesday, January 5, 2010

And the New Year begins...

After 6 weeks of too much travel, too much unhealthy (albeit darned tasty) food, and working out in mediocrity, I've finally got my act together. I should mention that I am more than a little annoyed that my renewal coincides with the hordes of "resolutionists" who have descended upon my gym and are making it quite difficult to do anything other than compare my former haven to a Wal-Mart parking lot. But... I was there first, I've been doing this entirely too long, and I will not let the cost of my new bike go unjustified by allowing them to interfere with my desire to be better than they are. So...

This morning's wake up call came at 0440. This absurd hour was necessitated by last nights 7pm workout that almost didn't happen because there was quite literally nowhere to do deadlifts, and the 2 ERG's we have were taken. But, as mentioned above, I got it in. So I made it to the gym at 5am to do "Cindy" (5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats, as many times as possible in 20 min). I did a quick 5 min warm-up on the ERG and then found my little spot in the corner by my back-up pull-up bar (my primary bar was, of course, taken by a patron who was quite obviously using one of her xmas gift certificates for a personal training session). The difference between the two bars, since I know you are wondering, is the primary is a straight, normal pull-up bar, and the back-up has 2 handles off the back of a machine which are "ergonomically" set quite far apart necessitating a wide grip and allowing little variation. But... off I went. I managed to get 9 or 10 rounds in in the allotted time. The first 3 rounds were done in less than 3 minutes, and the remaining 6 or 7 (I lost count during one of my spells of light-headedness between rounds) took the other 17 min. Cooled down and stretched for another 10, and then hobbled the 1/2 block home for coffee and a shower.

10k for time later tonight.

Thought for the day- no matter how angry you get at the pull-up bar, some old school Metallica can make you angrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment