Monday, March 15, 2010

And the Dr. says... no running.

Well, actually that's not what he said. He said I can run, but it will prevent the fracture in my foot from healing... and that I should start w/3-5 miles per week and increase by no more than 10% week over week... and it would be up to me to manage the pain with Tylenol (apparently anti-inflammatories (sp), such as Motrin or cortisone shots will slow down the healing process in the bone).  We agreed this is not exactly the most appealing of prospects, nor would this strategy do much to get me to the finish line. This was the opinion he said he would give to a "normal", non-training kind of person. Knowing that I go to him because he is a sports medicine guy he didn't actually suggest that I follow this, but noted that whatever I decide to do running-wise between now and the race would be effectively be limited by my own pain management strategy, and that we could fix it for good after the season ends. So, after discussing w/Max, we're gonna give this a go with no running between now and race day. Anyone out there curious to see if an Ironman can be effectively completed without any run training? I am (and honestly, I feel pretty good about it).

6 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I'm not sure I would want to undertake this, but then again, I'm not a former marine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,
    I think it is a good decision. The fact that we as a team don't do that much running anyway, I believe you'll be amazed at how well you'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intriguing, but I am confident it can be done - keep us updated on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike

    You are a Marine & will get through it. You will figure out a way to get it done. I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did my last marathon on NO run training. Average runs of about 3 miles (usually incorporated into some kind of CF WOD). PR'd by 18 min. I whole-heartedly believe I could have had a decent IM showing on just a strong CF regime, biking and swimming.

    I think you'll do better than the traditional IM athletes, and I think you know that. Get stronger on the bike and strong in the gym. It'll get you through the run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stong base of CF wods and biking will get you in good running shape. You've done an IM before, you know how to run. Take care of yourself now and let it all come together race day.

    Heck, I'm hoping to finish a 50 mile trail run in 4 weeks on run training consisting of 100m and 200m repeats. That run training starts tomorrow. woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete